If you didn’t already know, pretty much all of NW Montana is at Extreme Fire Danger Level with Stage II fire restrictions mandated. Here’s what you need to know to avoid breaking the law and causing sparking a fire that too easily would spread beyond your control…
Stage II Fire Restrictions Prohibit:
- Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, or wood stove fire.
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
- Operating motorized vehicles off designated roads and trails.
- The following acts are prohibited from the hours of 1:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. Outside of these hours a one-hour foot patrol in the work area is required following cessation of all activities as identified below. Non-Federal lands within Lincoln County require a two-hour foot patrol:
- Operating an Internal Combustion Engine.
- Welding, or operating an acetylene or other torch with open flame.
- Using an explosive.
- Persons with a written permit that specifically authorizes the otherwise prohibited act.
- Persons using a device fueled solely by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off. Such devices can only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the device.
- Operating generators with an approved spark arresting device within an enclosed vehicle or building or in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three feet of the generator.
- Operating motorized vehicles on designated roads and trails.
- Emergency repair of public utilities and railroads as per attached conditions.
- Persons conducting activities in those designated areas where the activity is specifically authorized by written posted notice.
- Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
- All land within a city boundary is exempted unless otherwise noted.
- Other exemptions unique to each agency/tribe.